“The value of an idea lies in the using of it.” —Thomasof college students have valid business ideas that if unleashed it can save the worlds economy which is in a brink of falling into an abyss never to be rescued,especially in the wake of Brexit and Trump,s Administration.Though I think the future of Kenya is Great in consideration with the recent approval of security apparatus deal with the Trump’s administration(story for another day).
Do you have that lightbulb?.why are afraid of letting it out?.Most people tell me ‘ducknet,your reality is nude” I wonder what the hell is that but I said to myself “may be I expose much of my Ideas to all and sundry” This gives me a challenge of coming up with something new ,more of a contingency plan.
College is an amazing time in our lives when we are able to live on our own, make new friends, and try out new things. It is a time when all of the money we do have goes towards books, beer, tuition, and living expenses. It’s often hard to find a descent paying job as you can’t get a full time gig because you don’t have the time for it. But what if you could make good extra income on your own schedule? Would you give it a shot?
.Cleaning Service or Window Washing Business
If you enjoy cleaning, this may be the business for you. You’ll need a vacuum and various cleaning supplies.
.Software Training / Computer Training
Many college students are great with design programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut, and so on. Did you know there are lots of people in your community looking to learn how to use these programs? Advertise on craigslist, create a website, and tell everyone about your business.
.Website Design and App Creation
In my opinion every company should have a website. Yet, you’d be surprised that many don’t! Learn how to create websites using WordPress. The brilliant thing about WordPress is that the client can do much of the editing once it is setup. Plus, WordPress is a free open source platform.
Campus events are always in need of a DJ Service. You’ll also be able to target weddings, business events, and anniversaries. You will need to invest a few thousand shillings to get started. A fourth year in UoN,Engineering school started as a DJ during college. She got involved with the Fraternities and was commonly booked solid for events Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.
.Start a Niche Blog
Starting a Niche Blog can be a very rewarding and low cost business to start while in college. Find something you are passionate about and start writing and creating content. As your audience grows, you’ll have the opportunity to start doing affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing is essentially sending referrals or leads to other companies.
Car detailing is a great way to make extra money in the summer or during the school year. Startup costs are low and profit potential is high. You need to be passionate about cars if you want to stick with this business. You’ll need to be very meticulous and willing to clean a single car for 3-6 hours.
.Other Awesome Ideas
- Turn your best photos or artwork into posters (good sellers at the start of term as students move into new homes)
- Start an essay or thesis proofreading business
- Create a local guide – think magazine, website or app – that helps freshers make the most of their new town: the best cafés, cheapest deals, or hidden gems. You can sell these on and even ask businesses to pay a small fee to be included.
- Produce a campus e-newsletter and take paid advertising from local businesses, or do deals to offer readers discounts and competitions
- Offer a transcription service that types up lecture recordings, or use your graphic design skills to produce handouts for tutor
- Be the go-to finder for folk who’ve lost something irreplaceable or want to buy something hard to find. Use the web as well as local contacts and retail knowledge to track down the impossible… for a commission
- Freelance: Whether it’s related to your current course or your dream career, offer your skills to peeps who need web design, illustration, writing or admin support. You’ll also get CV-pimping experience to boot
- Start a magazine about your uni subject and get other students, tutors and guest experts to write for it too. You could charge local businesses to advertise – the money might not start rolling in instantly but it’s a good project to invest in and will look great on your CV
I understand some of campus student may not have a pc but that should not hinder you from implementing yourbusiness ideas come from a observing & appreciating that problem.
Our society will always & firstly cherish that academic mind therefore don’t make your business the core agenda remember you’ve got to study to avoid any bad grades.
Keep your stellar start-up ideas on track with some common sense:
- Don’t do anything illegal
- Don’t compromise anyone’s safety to make a shilling
- Don’t skimp on your studies in favour or making some cash
- Check any rules your uni/insurance provider might have about running a business
- Get the tax facts and know where you stand
- Make sure you sound-out any rules about plagiarism if you intend to sell your notes or essays
- Check whether you need a licence, insurance or qualification to put any of your ideas into action before you move forward
- Don’t just think in terms of the money – going for ideas that help your community or local charities can do just as much for your CV or personal satisfaction.
Everyone has great ideas, but very few actually turn their dreams into concrete reality. Whether you’ve got a world-changing concept or just want to make some extra cash, you’ve got to make a start before you can have a startup.
Good luck, and let us know how you get on with your big venture! If you think we’ve missed any tricks with this list, fill us in using the comments section below